When you become parent, you will hear all kind of lessons every single day. Everyone will think that they are giving you the best parenting advice, but it’s up to you to choose what advice should you listen.
Here is the list of the best parenting advice that I ever got. Some are from my friends and family, some I found in books, and I have to say that the best advice I found online by reading other parenting blogs and digital parenting magazines.
One of the coolest parenting magazines I ever read is a Geek Parenting Magazine that is also available on iTunes, for a very reasonable price.
It’s a really cool digital magazine where you can find bunch of information on all the ways to raise your children in the new era.
You definitely need to check it out! But now back to my favorite advice 🙂
10 Best Parenting Advice That I Ever Got
1. We need to remember that kids don’t cry just to make our life difficult. They don’t do their homework because they have their reasons, not because of us. We have to validate their feelings and love them for who they are and not what we want them to be.
2. You don’t have to be a perfect parent. Kids need some chaos, because it will help them to build self-reliance and the ability to cope with the unexpected.
3. Every child is unique and what works in raising one child may not work for the other. It’s the same thing even if they are siblings. So don’t worry if routine you had with first child don’t work with other. Everyone is unique – and our world is beautiful because of that! For example, when my daughter was teething everyone had their own advice. At the end, the only thing that worked for us were teething necklaces from Umai Amber Jewelry, while some other things that others swear on it didn’t do the job.
You can find more information on teething on Crazed Parent. Love that site!
4. A parent does not raise a child alone. They are most important guides but a child is raised by a community made up of parents, teachers, grandparents, aunts and uncles, siblings and friends as well as all the people who come into contact with them during their life. You as a parent just need to ensure that all of these are working in the best interests of the child.
5. Your actions make much bigger effect than your words. It’s always like that and it’s same with the kids. Children follow what they see and not what they are told.
6. I once heard that raising children is like flying a kite. You need to know when to pull and leave the string free for the kite to soar high. It’s the same with raising kids: you need to know when to tighten the string and discipline them and when to let them be on their own.
7. Accept your kids for who they are, not who you would like them to be.
8. There is no “one size fit all” when it comes to parenting. Do what you believe is good parenting from your perspective.
9. Don’t try and be too heavy handed with groundings, punishments, lectures… If you are always like that, you will just end up with a defiant kid.
10. Ignore all best parenting advice and do what you think it’s best.
What is the best parenting advice you ever got?
Feel free to check out my post about life lessons you should teach your kids.